Saturday, September 6, 2008

On the nature of septembers

I rewatched my czech film last night, and found it sorely lacking in several areas in which I was once quite proud of it.
You can be the judge, it's on vimeo:



By Your Side from Caitlin Mae Burke on Vimeo.

(also, it bothers me a little bit that I can't select the preview image.)

This film is not nearly as tight as I thought it was two years ago. The storytelling is far too concise, the writing seems limited. It's too brief. But I think Chris did a GREAT job making it beautiful... and I could easily use it on an editing/art design reel.

I am starting to realize certain unglamourous things about my behavior in prague... None of these are disheartening, but they certainly color the memories. In short, I was a ridiculously irresponsible drinker, lived way too hard, gained an absurd air of entitlement, and was generally unbearable to some of my classmates and professors. But SOMEHOW, I managed to hook hannahschorr and samryan, and they're still around, only having known the violent, slightly unhinged caitlin that I presented for those five months in that country.

Have I mellowed over the past two years, or do I simply feel less justified in raving bitchery? Can I look at my creative output from that time and be as impressed with myself as I was when I had just returned?

I think it matters little. I was pleased with myself then, and currently can actually see quite an improvement: both artistically and interpersonally.

No comments: