Monday, September 29, 2008

In which Caitlinmae is disillusioned by gawker

I moved to NY, and I got REAL earnest.
Funny how life works out.

I just revisited Gawker for one of the first times since graduation... I've been successfully off Perez Hilton for a few months longer than that. I read this post and literally felt nauseous. I read Jessica's limelight inducing blogpost, which I thought was a sincere and reasonable critique of the Tracie and Moe mega-faux pas (Why oh why don't I have more vital occupations than the internet.) But these attacks by Gawker commenters, this spewed vitriol? It actually turned my stomach. Not to mention that I've BEEN that girl, crying in supermarkets because everything is so foreign and you feel so lost. I've also been vegetarian in Paris, albeit briefly, and if Harris hadn't been there as my guide, I wouldn't have had anything to eat nearly the whole time.

Who knew that once I actually got to the city as a resident my skin would thin to the snarkattacks of the media blog I'd loved from Poughkeepsie? When I was lonelylost in Prague, I'd read Gawker and feel homesick. I found Riese via bloggorea, and that's been nothing but a delight. But now that I have a 11211 zipcode and live in hipster Disney World, I certainly haven't hardened in a way that's made this sort of thing seem acceptable.

I'll stick with Jezebel from now on, Mr. Denton. I like their politics infinitely more, and they don't seem to be out for blood nearly as ferociously as your more profitable blog.